Relief Shelter Support Staff (Various Shifts)
Foothills Industrial Park, Calgary
The Mustard Seed is a results‐driven, progressive Christian not-for-profit humanitarian organization that seeks to address poverty through the building of a healthy community. The Mustard Seed has the vision to: build community, grow hope and support change. Inspired by Christian faith, we value people, innovation, community, collaboration, integrity and justice.
Reporting to the Shelter Relief Staff Manager and under the day-to-day supervision of a Team Lead, the Relief Shelter Support Worker is a front-line staff member that responds to the needs of Shelter guests on an ongoing basis. A Relief Shelter Support Worker works alongside volunteers and ensures that they are supported. Crisis intervention and conflict resolution are daily occurrences for this role.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The first point of contact for guests seeking shelter, food and clothing;
- Support the dignity of guests by seeking to identify needs in a respectful manner;
- Encourage and assist guests to seek internal resources and services;
- Be a supportive and proactive team-mate to fellow support staff;
- Provide crisis intervention as required;
- Attend meetings and training as assigned;
- Maintain guests records;
- Respect proper boundaries with guest;
- Support and work alongside volunteers;
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Diploma or an undergraduate degree in-process;
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in social work or related field ;
- Current Standard First Aid certification is strongly desired;
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills;
- Good knowledge of MS Word and Excel;
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a cross-functional team;
- Integrity, discretion and tact dealing with confidential matters;
- Previous experience working in a not-for-profit organization is strongly desired;
- A demonstrated passion to be involved in ending homelessness in Alberta is essential;
- Knowledge of mental illness and addictions;
- Experience working with volunteers;
- This is a relief casual position and hours will vary from week to week;
- Shifts: 9am to 9pm or 8pm-8am
- No guaranteed minimum hours;
- $16/hour to start with a $3/hour night shift premium (when applicable);
- This position is often fast-paced, and requires moderate amount of mental effort to analyze information and problem solve;
- This position requires the training and usage of two-way radio communications, MS Office based programs, as well as the HMIS database system;
- Working with an at-risk population in life recovery.
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and sign our statement of faith.
- Employment Security Check is required.
Review of applications will be on an ongoing basis and the position will remain open until filled.
Please forward cover letter and resume to [email protected] indicating the position title in the subject line.