The individual in this full time position is required to facilitate and monitor the progress of refugee children and youth at school, at home and in the community in order to optimize their integration into Canadian society.
Position: Refugee Child Enhanced Integration Project Children and Youth Counselor
Division: Resettlement & Integration Services.
Terms: Full time, 40 hours/week. Some evening and weekend work required.
- To work with refugee children and youth to ensure access to resources in the community.
- To monitor, follow up and evaluate the progress of refugee children and to address special needs.
- To conduct periodic assessments during a home visit, identify needs and implement services.
- To plan and deliver educational workshops and information sessions on various topics of need.
- To develop, organize and monitor “fun” activities for refugee children/youth.
- To enhance family awareness of community based educational and recreational resources.
- To assist refugee children/youth with school assignments.
- To recruit, organize, orientate volunteers for activity programs.
- To prepare and maintain client files and reports as required.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Completion of a diploma or undergraduate degree in social sciences. Equivalencies will be considered.
- Able to build relationships and maintain positive healthy rapport with clients, community partners and co-workers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Calgary community resources.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a clear driving record along with a personal vehicle.
- Knowledge and experience in working with culturally diverse individuals, children and youth in particular.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office software.
- Able to speak a second language would be an asset but is not required.
- Must provide a current clean Police Security Clearance and Intervention Record Check.
Qualified individuals should submit their cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00 p.m. September 30, 2013.
CCIS thanks all applicants for their interest however only selected candidates will be contacted.