Are you interested in working with a team of passionate employees and volunteers in an innovative and empowering environment? If you have a desire to give back to the community and love the idea of working in a multi-disciplinary team, we may have the perfect position for you.
A HomeFront Outreach Caseworker is responsible for contributing to the reduction of domestic violence in Calgary by: providing short term community support to families experiencing domestic violence whom have been in contact with the justice system; completing strength based assessments, risk assessments, provide information regarding domestic violence, and provide appropriate community referrals to help strengthen at-risk families; working collaboratively with internal programs, agency partners and referral agencies; provide ongoing safety planning and exploring risk factors with families.
A successful candidate will be able to demonstrate an advanced knowledge and awareness of domestic violence and the justice system; have excellent communication skills with the ability to convey compassion and respect to all clients; ability to work independently around the city and within a direct partnership with police constables; create a flexible work schedule that fits both agency and client needs; superior organization and prioritization skills; ability to demonstrate skillful experience in crisis situations and safety planning;
Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Contact police referred families in a timely manner upon receiving CPS incident report to introduce program
- Create safe and engaging environment for clients and their families while providing information and referrals regarding safety, domestic violence, community agencies and the criminal justice system & family law.
- Ensuring confidentiality protocols are followed and communicated to HomeFront clients
- Conduct strength based assessments of each participating family member, where applicable
- Assess Domestic Violence & other Risk Factors of each case file, providing information, referrals and safety interventions as the situation requires.
- Provide information on domestic violence and provide safety planning to clients
- Explore family needs and recommend appropriate community referrals
- Effectively and efficiently manage your case file load
- Cultivate cohesive work plans with clients for short-term interventions
- Maintain professional development via workshop/conference and training opportunities
- Work in partnership with Calgary Police Service to provide holistic service to clients
- Liaison with Child and Family Services, ensuring awareness of domestic incident
- Maintain open communication with program supervisor, ensuring supervisor is up-to-date on current case file activities
- Interface and work collaboratively with professionals from a range of different disciplines; Calgary Police Service, Child and Family Services, Crown Prosecutors, Calgary Community Corrections and various community agencies, etc.
- Public presentations representing HomeFront as required.
- Exploring Risk Factors and Formulating safety plans with client
- Making and supporting appropriate referrals for families experiencing domestic violence
- Instigate emergency intervention as needed to ensure safety of clients and public
- Report family violence incidents involving children or children bearing witness to Calgary and Area Child and Family Services
Team Work or Leadership:
- Working effectively and managing professional relationships with Police, Justice and Community Agencies and HomeFront team.
Competencies: (knowledge, skills, abilities)
- Excellent knowledge regarding community support systems, resources, Justice System and protection orders
- Excellent Knowledge of Domestic Violence Risk Factors and experience with Risk Assessment tools (Jackie Campbell, SARA etc)
- Ability to work effectively independently managing case loads and as a team member developing appropriate case management plans with co-workers;
- Builds and maintains collaborative relationships to ensure coordinated community action.
- Maintain professional demeanor with all team members and working partners
- Excellent organizational, verbal & written communication skills
- Well-developed, non-judgmental, listening skills
- Knowledge and ability to create Safety Plans
- Creative problem solving skills
- Crisis Intervention
- Competency with basic office computer skills; Outlook, Word, Excel; database experience an asset
- Ability to work with diverse individuals and communities
- Related university degree and minimum 3 years related experience. Equivalency: Related diploma and 4 years related experience; OR related certificate and 5 years related experience.
- Experience working with domestic violence victims and/or families in crisis.
- Experience working with law enforcement, Calgary and Area Child and Family Services and/or the justice systems
- Second language and/or experience working with diverse and multi-cultural communities considered an asset.
- Training in at least one Risk Assessment Tool related to Domestic Violence Considered an asset
Estimated Start Date: 6-8 weeks post interview to complete recruitment process
Job Category: Client Service
Reports to: Team Leader of Outreach Services
Location: Calgary area, home office, Calgary Police district offices
Travel: Travel required between worker’s office/home, client meetings, HomeFront office and Calgary Police offices.
Vehicle: reliable vehicle, valid class 5 driver’s license & auto insurance covering use of vehicle for work purposes required.
Employment is contingent on intensive Calgary Police Service security clearance and Calgary and Area Child and Family Services Intervention Check, and salary commensurate to education and experience.
HomeFront believes that diversity adds value to our agency and benefits our clients. We strive to hire team members who reflect the rich array of diverse cultures, beliefs, and values that are part of the broad global community.
To apply for this posting, please forward your resume with cover letter explaining what has inspired you to be a part of the HomeFront team.
Please forward resumes via email to:
Liz Driessen – Team Leader of Outreach Services, HomeFront
Thank you in advance to all interested applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted