Manager, Development & Communications
The Children’s Cottage Society is a charitable agency established in Calgary in 1986. The Society’s mission is “Preventing harm and neglect to all children and building strong families through support services, respite programs, and crisis nurseries”, and to achieve our vision of “Safe Children in Healthy Families”.
The Opportunity: We are looking for a results orientated individual to raise $1,000,000 and to manage communications initiatives. Reporting to the Executive Director, the successful candidate will be a well-rounded and experienced professional in the development and communications arena of the non-profit sector. This is an exciting time to join the Society as we are embarking on a new chapter of growth and launch a Capital Campaign.
Fund Development (70% of the position):
- Manage the implementation of annual, corporate, foundation, major and planned giving programs; including the preparation and creation of grant applications, case statements and corporate proposals.
- Develop the annual Fund Development plan and budget in collaboration with the Executive Director.
- Achieve operational fundraising goals, including multi-year commitments.
- Proficiency in utilizing Raiser’s Edge to analyze and manage donor data including stewardship, trends and communication.
- Research and prioritize prospects for potential donations; working with the Executive Director, Board of Directors and committees to steward new supporters, focusing on growing the donor base and major gifts.
- Develop and nurture relationships with donors through a donor stewardship program of the highest standard that serves to enhance the success of the revenue development program and the organization as a whole.
- Coordination, planning, and development of special events for the Society including an annual Radiothon.
- Manage campaign correspondence, report on campaign outcomes, provide reports to donors and the Society as required.
- Manage and receive donation phone calls from the public i.e. donating gift in kind or third party events.
- Support the Capital Campaign.
Communications (30% of the position):
- Develop and implement the organizations overall strategic communications plan including: website content, media relations, social media strategy, and donor communication pieces.
- Manage the Children’s Cottage online and social networking presence including Intranet, Twitter, Face book, and YouTube. Create eletters, enewsletters, and the annual report.
- Maintain established brand, look, and feel for all CCS materials, presentations, and graphics and activities.
- Send and draft press releases, serve as media contact point and responds to media requests.
- Works closely with program staff to generate success stories and testimonials for communication pieces.
- Participates in speaking engagements and media interviews as required by the Society
- Stays abreast of news, activities and trends related to non-profit marketing and development.
- Bachelors degree in a relevant area;
- Member of the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP). CFRE would be an asset.
- 5 years or more experience in development, fundraising, communications or a combination of the above. Special Events an asset.
- Ability to access the philanthropic community, identify and cultivate new sources of support for the organization;
- Proven track record of successful donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and proven ability to develop and maintain solid relationships with corporate partners, individual donors, volunteer boards, committees, peers and support staff;
- Ability to effectively articulate mission, strategic vision and values of the organization to a wide range of constituents;
- Familiarity with current communication and marketing trends and the usage of social media;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with proven public speaking abilities;
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills in all Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.).
- Intermediate familiarity of Adobe Creative Suite or related design programs.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Raiser’s Edge. Experience with a similar data base management system will be considered.
- Basic knowledge of e-mail marketing programs (i.e. Constant Contact) and online donation software, also an asset.
This position is required immediately and will close when a successful candidate is found.
The Children's Cottage Society offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
For more information about the Society visit: www.childrenscottage.ab.ca.
Submit resumes, cover letter and salary expectations via email to: [email protected] quoting competition number DC-001-2013.
*We are grateful for your interest. Please be aware that only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.