Unitarian Church of Calgary
Director of Religious Education (Permanent, Part-time)
The Unitarian Church of Calgary is a caring religious community that welcomes all people, regardless of age, race, nationality, or sexual orientation/ identity.
Applications are now being accepted for the position of Director of Religious Education (DRE) at the Unitarian Church of Calgary. Under the supervision of our Minister, the Rev. Debra Faulk, the DRE will provide professional leadership to the Children & Youth Religious Education Programs of this dynamic, liberal church. This is a permanent part-time position, commencing in August 2014.
Working conditions and Schedule:
- The DRE is employed for 28 hours/week, with flexibility in specific hours worked. Actual hours of service per week are to be adjusted to reflect the seasonal variations in intensity of activity at the church.
- Regular office hours will be kept covering at least 6 hours/week, on weekdays, plus regular Sunday morning hours.
- The DRE is to be on duty, on-site, Sundays within the September–June period each year, except for an average of one Sunday off per month. Sundays spent at denominational events are considered working Sundays.
- Strong interpersonal skills—ability to work well with people of all ages, ethnicities, races, sexual orientation, and family structures, and comfortable with a wide variety of religious views.
- Experience in recruiting, supporting, and working with volunteers.
- Strong oral and written communication skills—comfort in public speaking is an asset.
- Strong organizational skills, creativity, energy, enthusiasm and ability to take initiative.
- Prior experience in religious education would be an asset.
- Supportive of the religious values of Unitarian Universalism
- Be familiar with Unitarian Universalism and its religious education philosophy and curricula or be willing to learn.
- Knowledge of education principles and practices.
- Experience with children and expertise in behavior management.
- Background in teaching, human services, social justice or related field.
Salary: $25,000-$30,000 per year depending on experience (including one month paid vacation), plus benefits, paid semi-monthly.
For a full position description and more information about our church, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We also encourage you to visit our church website: www.unitarianscalgary.org.
To Apply please send a letter of interest and résumé to: email@example.com or mail or deliver to:
Unitarian Church of Calgary, 1703 – 1st Street NW, Calgary, AB, T2M 4P4.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until June 15th, 2014.