The Mustard Seed strives to build trust, hope and community among adults experiencing poverty and homelessness. We provide a safe place to assist people who are in need of relief, recovery and development as they move towards integrating into the broader community.
Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services (food, clothing and shelter), support services (employment coaching, health & wellness, corrections chaplaincy) and housing services (tenant support and low income housing) to those in need.
The Director of Human Resources will lead The Mustard Seed’s human resource activities providing leadership, direction and services to employees, managers and directors. The Director of Human Resources will be responsible for achieving the human resource team’s strategic goals and The Mustard Seed’s human resource initiatives, processes and programs in the areas of recruitment, new employee onboarding, policy development, compensation and benefits, organizational development, recognition, retention, performance management, employee training & development, employee engagement and employee communications.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Human Resources will be responsible for:
- Develop a Human Resources budget that includes all aspects of the duties outlined in the duties and responsibilities.
- Implement and constantly strive to improve effective employee recruitment, orientation and hiring programs to support the staffing requirements of The Mustard Seed. Assist the Directors with talent acquisition issues and succession planning.
- Work as a business partner and advisor to executive, directors and managers in leading or assisting in employee recruitment.
- Conduct new employee orientation and ensure effective onboarding processes.
- Acting as a strategic advisor to Executive, directors and managers, providing direction, guidance and support in the implementation of The Mustard Seed’s policies, procedures as well as approved planning, systems, and controls.
- Provide feedback and recommendation regarding policy implementation. Identify areas for review and revision as needed to remain current and consistent with The Mustard Seed’s objectives.
- Ensure policies and procedures comply with all statutory and legal requirements, and The Mustard Seed’s objectives.
- In coordination with the Director of Facilities, lead the development and implementation of health and safety policy and systems.
Compensation and benefits
- Lead and manage employee total compensation, including base compensation, benefits, and pension and recognition program according to guidelines established by the supervisor.
- Prepare and manage the annual budgeting process for the human resource function as well as The Mustard Seed compensation and benefits budgets.
- Manages The Mustard Seed’s benefits programs and acts as primary contact with benefit providers.
- Monitors changes in benefits and makes recommendations to Executive.
- Manage disability and worker compensation claims ensuring efficiency and effective return-to-work plans;
- Leads communication of benefit plans with employees.
Emloyee engagement and retention
- Advisor to managers and supervisors at all levels with improving employee engagement and assist in the design and implementation of policies and tools to engage and mobilize employees.
- Maintain a pulse on employee issues and concerns and provide recommended actions to Executive, directors and managers to maintain a positive work environment and ensure The Mustard Seed’s objectives are met.
- Works with managers and individual employees to understand their learning and training needs, provides coaching and recommends suitable programs and courses. Prepares and participates in the preparation of staff development plans.
- Increases employee engagement and productivity through effective leadership of a performance management system. Improve supervisor’s capability to effectively employ a performance management system (training, tools, etc.)
- Manage disciplinary and staff misconduct cases providing guidance and coaching to directors, managers and the executive when required.
- Conducting exit interviews, interpreting data gathered from these interviews and providing feedback to Executive, directors and managers.
- Assess fundamental human resource gaps and opportunities followed by implementation of policies and practices to realize the priority opportunities.
- Provide leadership, coaching and mentorship to the human resource team.
- Leading the development, monitoring, benchmarking and communication of key performance indicators linked to employee and organizational strategies.
- Maintenance of human resource information system and employee personnel files.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Degree or diploma in human resources or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- At least seven years’ experience in human resources as a generalist, including a minimum of three years of management experience;
- Demonstrated strong general business acumen;
- Experience with not-for-profit organizations;
- Well-developed leadership and motivational skills;
- Ability to take initiative, exercise judgment, act decisively and be accountable for decisions;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to influence at all levels, including senior management and peers;
- Preferably, a Certified Human Resources Professional designation.
- Full-time permanent position Monday to Friday.
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith.
- Employment Security Check is required.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Position is based in Calgary with frequent travel to Edmonton
Start date: Immediate. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please forward cover letter and resume to: HR@theseed.ca
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service and flex days.