Momentum staff are expected to work co-operatively with others; demonstrate flexibility in organizing work; show a high degree of initiative, discernment, and resourcefulness; have good communication skills; and demonstrate thoughtfulness in decision-making. Staff must be non-judgmental and receptive in approach, and reflect genuine concern, respect and commitment towards the individual, family, and community.
Momentum’s Financial Literacy department has received national recognition for its innovative programming. The programs in the department include:
- Fair Gains
- Youth Fair Gains
- Owen Hart Home Owners
- Savings Circles
- Money Management
- Money Matter$
- Train the Trainer
Want to do work that makes a difference?
We work to change lives. Check out our mission, vision and values on our website. Don’t forget to read about how we work with our participants to make a difference.
Momentum is an award winning and nationally recognized community economic development organization utilizing innovative approaches to poverty reduction. We’re striving to be an employer of choice and were selected as one of Alberta’s Top 50 Employers for 2011 and a finalist for Alberta’s Best Workplaces in 2012. We provide competitive compensation and benefits with an unparalleled work environment. We’re professional and diverse so you’ll find a range of people and backgrounds working here anywhere from an MBA to Social Work and everything in between. We’re serious about our work but we don’t take ourselves too seriously and love to celebrate and have fun along the way. We have high standards within a supportive setting that allows us to achieve a lot and have meaningful impact in the community. We’re good corporate citizens with sustainability being one of our values and take care to reduce our environmental footprint. Please check out our website for more information on Momentum and what it’s like to work here.
If this sounds like a place where you would want to work, please review the position below to see if there’s a fit with your skills and experience.
Who We Need
Your mantra is: I live to lead people, unite them with a compelling objective and see the amazing results we can achieve together. We’re looking for someone with the demonstrated ability to lead a strong team. You’re passionate about financial literacy in our community, embrace continuous improvement, innovation and ask what’s possible in our programming areas. You’re collaborative, inspirational and can get things done. You value and develop others while supporting them to achieve their personal and professional goals.
Our team is creative, collaborative and committed to results so if this sounds appealing to you, please visit www.momentum.org for a full job description and how to apply.
The Financial Literacy department is lead by a Department Manager that works in close collaboration with the Financial Literacy Coordinator. The Financial Literacy Department Manager provides overall strategic leadership to the department and is supported by the Coordinator in the design, implementation and evaluation of the Financial Literacy programs. The Department Manager is responsible to the Director of Operations to ensure effective management of the Financial Literacy Department.
Key areas of Responsibility:
Provide strong departmental leadership
- Supervise Financial Literacy staff members
- Support the Financial Literacy Coordinator and department staff in the delivery and evaluation of Financial Literacy programs
- Participate in related collaborative initiatives and partnerships to increase the community leadership role of the Financial Literacy Department
- Supervisor: Director of Operations
- Coordinator Financial Literacy
- Financial Literacy staff
- Finance Manager
- Financial Literacy participants
Financial Literacy Department Leadership
- Lead the departmental planning sessions
- Monitor the implementation and progress of the departmental business plan
- Implement successful team building processes
- Effectively manage the Financial Literacy program budgets.
- Contribute to inter-departmental, budget and organizational strategic planning processes.
- Contribute to successful inter-departmental collaboration at Momentum
- In collaboration with the Financial Literacy Coordinator, research and develop new or innovative program ideas to meet community need within the context of the business plan.
- Participate on the Program Management Team, related staff committees and in the wider work of Momentum.
Supervise the Financial Literacy team
- Manage aspects of Departmental Human Resources – hiring, professional development and performance management
- Support staff in achieving professional goals
- Support the Financial Literacy Coordinator in providing program operations leadership to the department staff.
- Support the Financial Literacy Coordinator in the development and regular review of all Financial Literacy department staff job manuals
- Promote Momentum’s values and culture with staff.
Manage Financial Literacy Programs
- Support the Financial Literacy Coordinator in the development, delivery and evaluation of outcome-focused programs and continuous quality improvement within the Financial Literacy department
- Ensure the Financial Literary curriculum is updated and improved as necessary in collaboration with the Financial Literacy Coordinator and departmental staff
- Ensure Financial Literacy programs are consistent with CED principles and Momentum values.
- Oversee the Financial Literacy department communication and marketing activities
- Support the Financial Literacy Coordinator in the development and implementation of all program policies and procedures.
- Ensure data management systems are effective and efficient for program management, evaluation, communications and external relations.
- Ensure programs are relevant and responsive to community needs through evaluation and assessment in collaboration with the Financial Literacy Coordinator.
Relationships with Community Stakeholders
- Maintain and expand existing community partnerships and networks
- Participate in collaborative initiatives to engage diverse stakeholders in Financial Literacy department activities
- Represent Momentum and the Financial Literacy Department at conferences, community events and consultations
- Liaise with departmental stakeholders, including community partners, government representatives and financial institutions
- Ensure the relationship with existing funders is well managed as required
- Ensure all reporting requirements effectively completed by Financial Literacy staff and the Financial Literacy Coordinator provides adequate support to staff in report development
- Develop funding proposals in collaboration with Director of Operations and Financial Literacy Coordinator
Skills and Qualifications:
- Post secondary education, or equivalent experience will be considered, in the field of social work, community development, psychology, human services, or related discipline.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and Supervisory experience
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills
- Program planning, development and management experience
- Knowledge of program evaluation and data management
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in an outcomes-based environment
- Ability to manage and interpret budgets
- Experience in working with marginalized or barriered individuals
- High level of computer literacy in word processing, database, email and Internet systems
- Ability to research and stay current in financial literacy and community economic development
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to network effectively
- Adaptable and flexible
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Knowledge of CED an asset
- Knowledge of Individual Development Accounts and personal financial management strategies an asset
Please forward resume with covering letter:
Via e-mail to: [email protected].
State competition number in subject line of email.
Or by mail: #16, 2936 Radcliffe Drive SE, Calgary, Alberta T2A 6M8
Or Fax: 403.235.4646
Attention: Hiring Committee
Competition Number: CCVO0901
Closing Date: September 30, 2013
Applicants must state salary expectations in their cover letter.
Momentum is an equal opportunity employer. Persons from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
For a detailed job description and more information about Momentum visit www.momentum.org.