Community Engagement Coordinator
One-Year Term - Contract Position
About Wood’s Homes
Wood’s Homes is a multi-faceted children’s mental health organization that operates 30+ programs in locations in Calgary, across Alberta and in the Northwest Territories. Each year nearly 20,000 children, youth and families are provided with services including crisis and counselling, in-home support and foster care, street services, residential treatment, youth in transition, and more.
As Wood’s Homes approaches its 100th Anniversary in 2014 our goal is to expand our reach in the community, increasing awareness and support as we move forward to another century of service.
Wood’s Homes is seeking an experienced professional to take on the role of Community Engagement Coordinator. Reporting to the Communications Manager the ideal candidate will have experience in communications/marketing and event management.
He/she will be responsible for building and maintaining relationships with various stakeholders to increase awareness of and support for Wood’s Homes. Working closely with the Communications and Foundation offices, the Co-ordinator will be responsible for planning and executing events and activities related to the 100th Anniversary and as required, the NEVER Give Up campaign. A key aspect of the role will be working with volunteers. Other job tasks will include general communications duties and communications projects as assigned. (Note: This is a one-year position with potential for renewal.)
- Public speaking skills and comfortable working with groups, (small and large)
- Identify and pursue opportunities for third-party events and liaise with organizers
- Knowledge of community groups and strong ambition to connect with groups
- Provides expertise in the development, organization, administration and execution of special events and keeping pre and post event details
- Contributes to and helps implement plans to engage stakeholders and volunteers
- Liaise with internal departments, committees and external clients to facilitate the coordination of event production.
- Strong interpersonal skills in establishing successful working relationships both internally and externally
- Other duties and committee work as assigned
- Develop and maintain project schedules and timelines for events
- Identify and implement improvement strategies and best practices
- Administrative tasks associated with event invoicing, letter preparation, contracts and stakeholder correspondence
- Co-ordinate the preparation and distribution of all thank you’s to volunteers
- Participate in the implementation of the communications and marketing plans for each event in concert with the Manager, Communications
- Recruit, train and supervise volunteers and support staff to assist with special events and other activities aligning with Wood’s Homes opportunities for volunteer engagement
- Responsible for ensuring data regarding stakeholders and events on the Foundation database is current and accurate, including all data entry and information updates
Qualifications and Experience
- Post-secondary education or equivalent experience in communications, public relations or event management
- Minimum of two years proven results with the management of small and large events/fundraisers
- Marketing and/or media relations experience is an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge database is a strong asset as well as some graphic design software (InDesign)
- Proficiency in the use of all Microsoft Office applications and donor database systems
- Proven ability to establish effective working relationships with all levels of management and senior volunteers
- Strong organizational (time management), analytical, and problem solving skills
- Ability to multi-task, manage and meet tight deadlines
- Must be able to work well independently and as a member of a team
- Personal suitability is an important consideration
- Must have own transportation and the flexibility to work some evenings and weekends
Wood’s Homes is proud to be awarded one of the Top 100 Best Workplaces in Canada (2011,2012). We offer a high-quality benefits package including vision, dental, extended health, a generous Group Registered Pension Plan and a Computer Literacy Incentive Plan.
Please submit a resume to Wood’s Homes – Human Resources Department (Parkdale Campus) via email to: [email protected]. Please quote the position title in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please visit us at www.woodshomes.ca for more information about our organization.