Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services, food, clothing and housing, support services (including employment, health and wellness, and corrections chaplaincy), and housing services, including tenant support and low income housing, to those in need.
Reporting to the Director of Communications and Marketing, the Communications Officer is responsible for developing and implementing a communications strategy for Calgary operations that will raise awareness of the issues of poverty in the inner city and the profile of The Mustard Seed in Calgary in the broader community, including churches, businesses, foundations and individuals.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Clearly communicate the mission, vision, core values and story of The Mustard Seed in Calgary with both internal (staff, volunteers, community) and external (donors, media, businesses, agencies, churches) audiences;
- Preparing timely communications materials and promotional items in support of programming, fund raising and special events;
- Developing partnerships with local media and advertising contacts for the benefit of The Mustard Seed in Calgary;
- Maintaining local media database and public contacts for disseminating information;
- Acting as media contact and prepare key messaging for media releases, public service announcements, media kits, etc. in consultation with central office;
- Developing and produce promotional materials (i.e. program brochures, annual report, quarterly newsletters);
- Managing the production of the quarterly newsletter from timeline development, assignment of articles, editing/layout and distribution;
- Supporting the implementation of direct mail projects in Calgary with copy writing, editing and production management;
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- A passion to be part of ending homelessness in Alberta;
- Post-secondary education in a related field;
- Three to five years of public relations/marketing experience;
- Demonstrated experience with media relations, desktop publishing, database software;
- Self-motivated, proactive, energetic and goal-oriented with superior interpersonal skills;
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to manage multiple projects;
- Previous experience working in a not-for-profit organization is highly desirable.
- Full-time permanent position Monday to Friday, some weekend and evening work may be required.
- Fast paced and demanding work environment.
- Employment Security Check is required.
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
Start date: Immediate
Review of applications begins on October 17, 2013; however, the position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please forward cover letter and resume to HR@theseed.ca indicating the position title in the subject line.
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, partial gym membership subsidy, and flex days.