Position: Assistant Controller (Calgary)
Does your dream job involve working every day with smart, strategic and values-driven people who are leading Canada’s transition to a clean energy future? Do you thrive in an entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment?
Are you excited about a career where you can apply your professional expertise as a critical member of the team that delivers clean energy solutions — backed by solid research and analysis — into the hands of Canada’s decision makers and key influencers?
We are Canada’s leading clean energy ‘think and do’ tank and we’d love to meet you.
The Pembina Institute is seeking an ambitious and talented Assistant Controller with strong financial and interpersonal skills to join the Pembina Institute’s Calgary office. This staff person is responsible for supporting the organization with a wide range of advanced financial, accounting and administrative oversight and analysis.
The successful candidate will be joining a dynamic group of nationally recognized professionals who apply their technical acumen, industry knowledge, values and creativity to Canada’s most prominent and pressing sustainability challenges. The full-time position may require occasional work on evenings and weekends.
The Pembina Institute is an independent, not-for-profit, internationally recognized thought leader on sustainable energy systems. It uniquely combines the public interest mandate and co-operative environment of a non-profit with the entrepreneurial culture of a small business and the intellectual rigour of a think tank.
Because you are working for a non-profit, you will be exposed to diverse finance and administration challenges. These challenges offer the opportunity to rapidly gain experience and expertise, and for ongoing professional development. For organized and self-motivated candidates with a broad skill set and adaptive frame of mind, this position offers the potential for long-term career growth in the financial and business support area.
We offer a unique work environment that rewards good ideas and personal initiative, and that gives you the chance to collaborate with smart and experienced colleagues across disciplines and across the country. Openness to experimentation, innovation and changing our approach to become more efficient and effective is a trademark of our organizational culture.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Financial Reporting (70%):
- Conduct month-end close procedures based on set schedules and defined timeline
- Prepare and update schedules on all B/S and P/L accounts
- Prepare year-end closing and all year-end reporting
- Provide oversight into all sub-ledger activities
- Assist with budget preparation
- Prepare government reporting such as quarterly GST remittance
- Assist with annual year end audit
- Prepare financial reports and submissions as needed (i.e. For grant and sponsorship funders)
- Oversee and/or prepare project financial reports and statements for Pembina Foundation projects as per a Management Services Agreement
- Carry out financial controller responsibilities of the Director of Finance and Administration as needed
- Analysis, Research and Problem Solving (30%):
- Provide routine performance analysis on project budgets, time bank reports, individual revenue targets and other management reporting
- Recommend assignment of unallocated funds to projects or program areas based on a budget analysis and the specific needs of the project or program
- Track pre-paid project funds against work completed and ensure accounting entries are completed accurately and in a timely manner
- Communicate analysis results and problem/solution set to senior management team members
- Lead special projects and represent Finance and Administration in change management initiatives
Skills and Qualifications
Candidates must clearly reflect the following skills and experience in their application:
- Four+ years of progressive experience in the field of accounting and finance support
- Relevant post-secondary degree (i.e. accounting, business administration)
- Possessing or working towards a professional accounting designation
- Strong technical aptitude, with advanced Excel skills
- In-depth understanding of accounting principles and applications in finance support
- Experience in providing analysis for performance measurement and business management
- Familiarity of ACCPAC or other ERP systems an asset
- Good working knowledge of GST reporting
- Must be able to close the books independently
- Demonstrated experience and/or understanding of non-profit organizations and/or smaller organizations (of less than 100 employees) an asset
- Genuine interest in Pembina’s organizational goals and its approach
- Commitment to sustainability and social change (can be through educational, professional, and/or volunteer experiences)
- Self-motivated and results-oriented, with drive and initiative
- A good sense of humour is an asset
Compensation and Benefits
- The salary rate is competitive for an Assistant Controller in established non-profit environmental organizations (although lower than rates paid in the government or corporate sectors) and will be based on skills, experience and qualifications of the successful candidate
- Extended health and dental benefits
- RRSP program
- Flexible work hours
- Four weeks of vacation a year
(Further terms of employment will be discussed with candidates during the interview process)
- Email [email protected] with the subject line specifying the position you’re applying for and your last name. Please attach the following documents:
- Cover letter (max. two pages) explaining why you are interested in working with Pembina and how your skills and qualifications meet the criteria outlined above
- Resume outlining your relevant skills, education and experience
- Note: Please save your cover letter and resume as one document in PDF format, using the naming convention lastnamefirstletter-application-AssistantController-2013.pdf (example: smithm-application-AssistantController-2013.pdf)
- Application deadline: Midnight on Friday November 1, 2013.
The Pembina Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.