Literacy Alberta is a provincial, membership based, non‐profit charity working to build literacy and essential skills in Alberta. We work with individuals, organizations, workplaces and communities. We influence decision makers and we raise awareness of literacy issues provincially and nationally.
Currently, Literacy Alberta is looking for a superb part-time Accountant to look after its complex and very interesting financial function.
Duties of the Accountant:
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end closings through effective management of the accounting cycle
- Prepare internal financial statements on a monthly and quarterly basis
- Prepare, in conjunction with management, the annual project and operating budgets, in a timely manner
- Prepare Payroll, A/P, A/R, Deferred Revenue and Contributions, and other periodic Society reporting
- Assist with the management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities for the organization including: daily/weekly/monthly reporting, organizational revenue/expense and balance sheet reports, reports to government (Donor-Specified, GST, Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission, and Charities Directorate) as required
- Maintain internal controls over financial reporting of the organization and to safeguard financial assets of the organization
- Coordinate the yearly fiscal review and audit with independent auditors, ensuring all audit issues are resolved, all compliance issues are met, and the preparation of the annual financial statements are in accordance with not-for-profit deferral method of accounting principles
- Human Resources administration
The ideal candidate will possess:
- (At a minimum) the third or fourth level of a professional accounting designation (CMA/CGA)
- Not-for-profit accounting experience
- A minimum of five years experience in accounting
- Knowledge of accounting software (QuickBooks) and office software
- Ability to create and assess financial statements and budget documents
- Attention to detail, strong analytical skills and effective time-management
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and verbal form
- Interest in working part-time: four days per week and six hours per day
Literacy Alberta is a very busy, results oriented workplace with a warm and friendly working environment. We work as a team to ensure that our goals are accomplished. The new Accountant will be an integral part of the staff expected to bring ideas and solutions to the team. More information about Literacy Alberta is available at literacyalberta.ca
Interested candidates should address their résumés attention: Janet Lane, Executive Director, but send them to [email protected] This position is open until April 26th, 2013. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted by Literacy Alberta. Thank you for your interest.